Friday, June 13, 2008

Free Association Friday: Pus-filled tonsil edition








Yes folks it's time for another installment of Free Association Friday!

Today's word is: quinsy (n) inflammation of the tonsils, with formation of pus. Root: Greek kyon, dog; anchien, choke.

OK first? EWAH. I could have happily lived my life not knowing that such a condition existed. Thank you, Webster's. Thankyouverymuch.

Also? How do we get from choking dog to pus-filled tonsils? I mean, yes, they both involve the throat area, but other than that I don't see the connection. To my recollection as a dog owner, dogs are not particularly prone to being pus-y. Especially in their throat.

In regards to tonsils, I do not have them anymore. I had a tonsillectomy at age 2?3? Something like that. I used to get very bad sleep apnea, and when the docs investigated, they found that my tonsils were about 4 times the size they should have been. Mom says when I snored she could feel the floor shake. So they got rid of those right quick. I remember waking up from surgery, and I don't remember much at that age. I remember being soooooo thirsty and sooooo lonely, but then they gave me my special blanket (which I named Kiki) and I felt much better. But they wouldn't give me anything to drink. They said I could have a popsicle and I wanted grape but they were out and all they had was orange, and if you remember orange flavor in the early 80's...ew. So I sulkily ate my orange popsicle and that's really all I remember.

2 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

EW-AH.

HeatherAnn Fragglehead said...

I rather enjoy the word 'pus'. It's very vivid, don't you think?